Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Bigfoot Sighted in Hong Kong


Today is just one of those days; I just have a case of the Hong Kong Blues. After my high of last week being Japan, my personal compass is pointing the other direction at the moment. Can I just tell you I almost had a meltdown trying to find a package of lettuce that wasn’t full of brown soupy decaying leaves and for $9.00  U.S. no less? Lettuce my friends, is a luxury that you shouldn’t take for granted, I know I don’t anymore. I really do love Asian food of every variety but I tell you if I eat just one more noodle this week I might possibly wash it down with kerosene and a match.

I am not sure how the funk started exactly, but it could be that the doors on the inside of the elevator at work have a very shiny mirrored surface. Each morning I look back at myself standing in the elevator with your average Asian-I feel like freaking Sasquatch. Okay I know you are clicking your tongues and shaking your heads wondering if I ever paid attention to the fact that I am bigger than most people in AMERICA?! The answer is a resounding “YES”. I just don’t normally feel like a circus freak –just today.


"Local woman captures Bigfoot"

So back to the lettuce I can’t help being tall but good lord I just wanted to feel healthy and eat a freaking salad- no dice. I ended up eating steamed bok choy (washed and rinsed within an inch of its life – you just can’t be too careful) and a persimmon. Sounds healthy enough, just wasn’t what I wanted at the moment. Damn and my husband sent me all those croutons too. ‘sigh’.

Speaking of food I couldn't help snapping a shot of this menu at a restaurant near my house, I don't think I will ever be quite this hungry


I have no idea what a "Jew's Ear" is, but I don't want to eat it

With Halloween approaching in the states I feel discombobulated because I am not getting that good autumn feeling that comes with pumpkins and the smell of wood smoke. It is still 80 degrees here and I am wistful to wear a sweater, but outside of my house (usually I wear one inside because the air conditioning is always on full blast to keep that humid smell under control). All these things have me flummoxed today. But I take heart in knowing that my first honest to goodness houseguest is coming this Friday and will start a solid month of various visitors. I am sure what I need is some good old fashioned conversation and time spent with the familiar, some of that will do me good. That, and some god damned lettuce!


No comments:

Post a Comment