Saturday, October 24, 2009

God I loved Japan


I just returned from my first trip to Tokyo and I just want to say that was a great experience! I have heard for years about how amazing Japan is and it just didn’t sink in until I actually got there. In hindsight I was more than a little burnt out from the incredibly long work hours and non-stop pace of my life since arriving in Hong Kong. Just for perspective, In less than a month I have moved to Hong Kong, started a new job, and spent about 42 hours on planes (that is a full work week just flying, not to mention the additional 20 hours or so I must have spent in airports). So when it came time to go to Tokyo I was just fried- and didn’t really have any enthusiasm for it. But duty calls so off to Tokyo I went.

Sometimes life gives you exactly what you need when you need it and Tokyo was just what the doctor ordered. Japan is busy but orderly, exciting but calming and I don’t know that I have ever encountered more hospitable and dignified people in my life. I absolutely loved it!


Okay maybe everyone doesn't have dignity - I think this may have been a kid's show about poop...I am not sure

So what is it I loved so much? Well first let me say that I had a very busy work schedule (what’s new) and that my schedule prevented me from doing much sightseeing, a big shame. It is easy to fall in love with a place when one is on vacation, enjoying all the sights and having time to wander and savor it all. But, if you fall in love with a place by just walking down the street, eating some food and occasionally popping in a shop between meetings that really speaks volumes.

Can I just say that although I don’t have a single story about someone trying to push me or rip me off or sell me monkey -gut pie, I do have so many so many positive things to say that  you have to pardon me while I gush and crush on Tokyo.



Yummy perfect Bento - this is my dream meal!

So where should I start? The people, amazing, generous and gracious, polite to the extreme – striving to respect those around them and live in harmony even in small spaces. The food is fresh, delicious, well presented and of the highest quality, even at the airport. The commitment to quality is a way of life, you will never be treated better at a hotel or restaurant or shop. And the esthetic of everything is simple, well designed and understated. True things cost a bit more but I couldn’t help but think it was worth every cent.








So the long and short of it is that fortunately Tokyo is very important to my business objectives and I have a lot to do there while I am in Asia. So eventually I will get to see the sights and take in more of what Japan has to offer, but in the meantime I am just grateful for the awesome meal shared with a co-worker, my new found love for Persimmon Sake and the cutest little lucky cat souvenir I have ever seen. Oh yeah and the Mandarin Oriental in Tokyo might just be my new favorite place in the world!


 The view from my hotel room was pretty enticing




"Moshi Moshi Neko" (Hello Kitty)

No comments:

Post a Comment